For many Muay Thai fighters, protein powder helps tremendously for building, maintaining, and recovering muscle. Even if you eat right, protein powders are able to provide that extra boost that really gives an advantage for intense workouts, but where do you even begin when choosing one with so many on the market?
The best protein powders for Muay Thai contain ingredients that serve a nutritional purpose and give an excellent pre and post-workout protein solution, such as MyProtein Clear Whey Isolate. However, the key to the right protein powder is to learn what types of protein will benefit you the most.
We will be going over the best protein powders that those who train can benefit from, and what makes a good protein powder in the first place. Read further if you would like to learn more.
If you want to skip ahead to our top 3 picks for the best protein powders for Muay Thai fighters, then see below! 👇
Fitness To Diet is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
What Makes a Good Protein Powder?
With how many protein powders there are to choose from, it can be difficult to pick which one to go for if you are looking for the best.
For one, we recommend avoiding the utmost cheapest protein powders. They may offer lots of protein for the money. However, they contain ingredients that you wouldn’t want, and many users report feeling sluggish after consuming them.
Look for powders that have ingredients that serve a nutritional purpose and generally try to stay as unprocessed as they can. Expensive protein powders cost more money because using more natural ingredients costs more, and they have put in the research to conclude why they should use said ingredients. The higher quality protein powders also mix better when cooking with protein – such as a chocolate protein mug cake.
Below we will share our favorite protein powders so you can have an easier time choosing what works best for you. But before that, you might like this video showing key things you need to know about properly taking and choosing protein powders:
MyProtein Clear Whey Isolate
- Zero sugar, no milky taste or texture
- Light and refreshing fruity flavour
MyProtein Clear Whey Isolate is surprisingly excellent. For starters, it has only 80 calories per serving for 20g of protein, which gives it a good calorie to protein ratio.
Part of the reason for the low calories is because this product uses whey isolate, which provides a higher concentration of protein for fewer calories. In addition, whey isolate is also great for people watching their fat and carbs, which makes it ideal if you are watching your macros.
This powder comes in many different flavors, and it seems that their goal is to go for a refreshing fruity vibe (i.e., fruit juices, teas, etc.) rather than the dessert-like flavors that other protein powders go for. You have flavors such as peach tea, bitter melon, rainbow candy, and orange and mango.
Overall, the flavors taste good and aren’t overpoweringly sweet. There is a strange aftertaste, but it isn’t enough to make it a horrible tasting beverage.
Pro JYM Protein Powder
- ISOLATE BLEND - Scientific studies have shown that a blend is considerably better for maximizing muscle-building than standard whey protein Alone, This blend contains whey protein isolate, micellar casein, milk protein isolate, and egg white protein.
- GREAT TASTE - No other protein powder surpasses the great taste, texture, and nutrition of Pro JYM. Simply mix with water, milk, almond milk or add other Ingredients For a delicious high protein shake or smoothie. It also comes in chocolate and Vanilla.
- PERFECT RATIO - Pro JYM contains the ideal ratio of the three optimum proteins for building muscle: 50% casein, 40% whey and 10% egg protein. For both men & women, This blend supports your natural strength, energy, endurance & recovery.
This Pro JYM Protein Powder is one of the best protein powders on the market for almost everyone, whether you are training for Muay Thai or just want some muscles on your bones. If you want only one powder without worrying about pre-workout vs. post-workout specific products, this will provide a balance of protein and other macros with its quality ingredients containing egg protein, whey, and casein.
The blend of ingredients chosen allows it to be suitable for both before and post-workout because it contains slow and fast digesting proteins. Not only that, but it also tastes great with a rich texture that is pleasant and goes down easily. You really get what you pay for here, and we think it is worth the money all the way.
Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal Replacement Powder
- On the go nutrition: 20 grams of clean, organic plant protein with 44 superfoods including organic grass juices, fruits and veggies and 6 grams of fiber to keep you satisfied
- Post workout recovery: Help build lean muscle and boost energy with this power packed meal replacement
- Vitamins and minerals: This delicious vanilla protein powder is packed with 21 vitamins and minerals
The Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal Replacement Powder is going to be one of your best options if you are vegan or lactose- intolerant. What separates this from other protein powders is that it doubles as a meal replacement. Thus, if you find that you don’t have time to eat or just don’t want to cook, this is a convenient way to replace some of your meals (note that you shouldn’t try to live off this).
It is also soy-free, which will please many people. The ingredients are a wonderful blend of real greens, vegetables, and fruits. The product also contains probiotics and enzymes to aid in digestion.
Lastly, if you are sick of ultra-sweet protein powders, this one is very tame on the sweetness on the sweetness scale. It pairs wonderfully with plant-based milk, and for an extra boost of flavor, you can use flavored milk such as chocolate and vanilla almond milk.
Muscletech Nitro-Tech Whey Gold
- WHEY PROTEIN POWDER – MuscleTech Nitro-Tech Whey Gold features whey protein isolate and peptides, this ultra-pure, rapidly absorbed and quickly digested protein is engineered to support fast recovery, helping you build more lean muscle
- PROTEIN POWDER for LEAN MUSCLE – Whey peptides promote rapid recovery from exercise and support an insulinogenic response for improved nutrient delivery for men & women. Builds lean muscle, increases strength and enhances performance
- FAST RECOVERY – MuscleTech Nitro-Tech Whey Gold has 24g of protein, 4g of glutamine & precursor and 5.5g of BCAA for better muscle protein synthesis and recovery
If you need to build up muscle quickly, you are going to need more than protein. While large amounts of protein help, you will need more than that if you intend to get very serious with intense workouts and recovery – especially after hard sparring with shin guards.
That’s where Nitro-Tech Whey Gold helps. It is made for folks who are looking to build muscle at a faster rate. The protein content is typical of many protein powders with 24g per serving, but it also contains 5.5g of BAA per serving along with whey peptides, which helps speed up the muscle recovery process. In summary, this protein powder will enable you to work out more often, which can result in faster results.
It’s not the best when it comes to taste, as with many other protein powders. However, it is tolerable enough.
Bodybuilding Signature Whey Protein Powder
- ULTIMATE MUSCLE GROWTH AND RECOVERY: Our whey protein is made up of three different types of whey for ultimate muscle growth and recovery. Whey isolate, whey concentrate, and whey hydrolysate give you a balanced amount of proteins, carbs, and fats to fuel your workouts while also being easy to digest and fast absorbing
- SMOOTH FLAVORS: BodyBuilding.Com’s whey protein comes in 4 delicious flavors so you never get bored. Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry and Mocha Cappuccino will keep you fueled
- EASILY DIGESTED: The digestive enzymes found in our whey protein make it easy to digest your protein for ultimate results. Digestive enzymes are clinically studied and shown to increase the uptake of amino acids into the blood by 20% compared to whey protein alone
Bodybuilding.com is a great place for all of your protein supplement needs, and they also have their in-house products. Due to their understanding of macros, their whey protein powder is quite good.
What makes this particular powder better than a lot of other whey protein products on the market is that it has 13g of isolate and 6g of hydrolysate and concentrates, providing a source of low-carb protein that digests quickly. They also made sure that it tastes great with practically no aftertaste that screams, “I’m a protein drink!”.
Garden of Life Sport: Organic Plant-Based Protein
- Organic sport protein: Certified USDA organic, Non-GMO project verified, NSF certified for the sport, informed choice for sport certified, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, no added sugars
- Post workout recovery: Our Garden of Life Vegan Protein helps you refuel & repair muscles after a hard workout with 30 grams of complete protein and over 5 grams BCAA amino acids, glutamine & glutamic acid
- Recovery drinks: This sport protein powder promotes faster recovery with an organic high antioxidant blend of organic tart cherries, organic apples, organic turmeric, organic Gogi berries and organic blueberries
Once again, Garden of Life shows up on the list! They are one of the best plant-based protein options you can get. Don’t think you can’t have it either just because you aren’t vegan. Anyone can enjoy plant-based protein, and this powder is one of the better examples of protein powder on the market in general.
This was designed for athletes so that they can get the most out of their workouts. It contains organic plant-based ingredients along with BCAA’s to aid in muscle recovery post-workout so that you can hop right back into another workout session sooner rather than later.
This is arguably one of the best plant-based protein powders you can find, and it is an easy recommendation if you are lactose intolerant, vegan, or prefer a plant-based protein solution.
The taste is okay. It tastes better than most other vegan protein powders, but you can tell that it is a supplement. However, as we mentioned previously, blending it with some plant-based milk will allow you to get the most out of the drinking experience.
Conclusion – Best Protein Powders for Muay Thai
These were our picks for our favorite protein powders that people who engage in Muay Thai can benefit from. They excel at their quality of ingredients, nutrient balance, and overall effectiveness. Don’t be afraid to look around even more if you still can’t decide what is right for you. There are lots of great protein powders out there containing different levels of protein and different types of ingredients.
- Bodybuilding: 9 Best Protein Powders of 2020
- Fitness to Diet: Myprotein Clear Whey Isolate
- Total Shape: The Difference Between Budget vs. Expensive Protein Powder?