For many wrestlers, protein powders provide the extra boost they need to gain and maintain muscle mass and recover after workouts. A high-protein diet is a good start, but being able to drink a protein beverage is a lot more convenient than cooking up a meal. But what are the best protein powders for wrestlers you can buy today?
There are many protein powders to choose from, but you can start with MyProtein Clear Whey Isolate as an excellent pre and post-workout protein solution. We recommend it for its effectiveness, quality, and value that it provides.
We will be going over the best protein powders that a wrestler can benefit from as well as what makes a good protein powder in the first place. If you would like to learn more, read further!
If you want to skip ahead to our top 3 picks for the best protein powders for Wrestlers, then see below! 👇
Fitness To Diet is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
What Makes a Good Protein Powder for Wrestlers?
With how many protein powders there are on the market, it can be difficult to choose one if you are looking for the best you can find. You may have seen that various protein powders are marketed to different audiences as in one can be for people not getting enough protein while another is specifically for athletes.
For one, we recommend avoiding the bottom of the barrel protein powders. They can offer lots of protein for the price, but they contain unsavory ingredients, and many users report feeling sluggish after consuming them.
Instead, look for powders that contain quality ingredients and are proven to provide results. More expensive protein powders cost that much because they put in the research and have proven themselves to be able to charge more than cheaper powders. A good rule of thumb is the less processed the ingredients are, the better.
Below, we will share our favorite protein powders so you can have an easier time choosing what works best for you. But before that, you might like this video showing key things you need to know about properly taking and choosing protein powders:
Pro JYM Protein Powder
- ISOLATE BLEND - Scientific studies have shown that a blend is considerably better for maximizing muscle-building than standard whey protein Alone, This blend contains whey protein isolate, micellar casein, milk protein isolate, and egg white protein.
- GREAT TASTE - No other protein powder surpasses the great taste, texture, and nutrition of Pro JYM. Simply mix with water, milk, almond milk or add other Ingredients For a delicious high protein shake or smoothie. It also comes in chocolate and Vanilla.
- PERFECT RATIO - Pro JYM contains the ideal ratio of the three optimum proteins for building muscle: 50% casein, 40% whey and 10% egg protein. For both men & women, This blend supports your natural strength, energy, endurance & recovery.
Without hesitation, this is one of the best protein powders on the market for almost everyone. If you want only one powder, this will provide a balance of protein and other nutrients with its quality ingredients containing egg protein, whey, and casein.
This blend of ingredients allows it to be versatile for both before and post-workout because it contains both slow and fast digesting proteins.
It also tastes great with a rich texture that is sure to please and get down without making funny faces. It may cost more than cheaper powders, but you get what you pay for, and we think it is worth the money all the way.
Garden of Life Meal Replacement Powder
- WHAT’S THE SCOOP: Why have a snack when you can have the whole meal? This all-in-one protein shake is made for any time of the day: 20g of complete plant-based protein will leave you satiated longer thanks to 7g of fiber in just 150 calories per serving
- DOWNRIGHT DELICIOUS: We’re taking a stand against chalky and bringing tasty back; Not only is Raw Organic Meal now easy to mix and silky smooth, but our Vanilla Flavor is downright delicious; Mix with water, blend in smoothies or add in to baked goods
- SHAKE IT UP: Raw Organic Meal has been shaken up to provide improved texture and mixability; Organic peas, sprouted grains, seeds and legumes plus whole food vitamins and minerals deliver nutrients you need while also being low in net carbs and 0g sugar
If you are lactose-intolerant or vegan, then the Garden of Life’s Meal Powder is going to be one of your best options. And It’s not just a protein powder; it also doubles as a meal replacement by including a multitude of micronutrients—perfect for those who don’t have time to cook a meal.
In addition, it is soy-free, which will please a number of people. The ingredients here are a blend of real vegetables, fruits, and greens with probiotics and enzymes to aid in digestion. And if you are sick of protein powders tasting like a milkshake, you’ll be pleased to learn that this powder doesn’t go too far on the sweetness scale.
We recommend mixing it with plant-based milk rather than water to make it especially enjoyable. It goes particularly well with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
Bodybuilding Signature Whey Protein Powder
- ULTIMATE MUSCLE GROWTH AND RECOVERY: Our whey protein is made up of three different types of whey for ultimate muscle growth and recovery. Whey isolate, whey concentrate, and whey hydrolysate give you a balanced amount of proteins, carbs, and fats to fuel your workouts while also being easy to digest and fast absorbing
- EASILY DIGESTED: The digestive enzymes found in our whey protein make it easy to digest your protein for ultimate results. Digestive enzymes are clinically studied and shown to increase the uptake of amino acids into the blood by 20% compared to whey protein alone
- FUEL YOUR LIFE: With the perfect blend of proteins and digestive enzymes, It’s perfect first thing in the morning, between meals, and especially after your workout. It’s so delicious, it’ll also slay that sweet tooth
The folks at Bodybuilding.com have their own line of products that aim to be reliable for athletes and bodybuilders alike.
Their whey protein powder is no exception. What makes this particular powder better than a lot of other whey protein products on the market is that it has 13 g (0.46 oz) of isolate and 6 g (0.21 oz) of hydrolysate. Both concentrate on providing a source of low-carb protein that digests quickly.
They also ensured that it tastes good with practically no aftertaste that most protein drinks on the market have.
MuscleTech Nitro-Tech Whey Gold
- WHEY PROTEIN POWDER – MuscleTech Nitro-Tech Whey Gold features whey protein isolate and peptides, this ultra-pure, rapidly absorbed and quickly digested protein is engineered to support fast recovery, helping you build more lean muscle
- PROTEIN POWDER for LEAN MUSCLE – Whey peptides promote rapid recovery from exercise and support an insulinogenic response for improved nutrient delivery for men & women. Builds lean muscle, increases strength and enhances performance
- FAST RECOVERY – MuscleTech Nitro-Tech Whey Gold has 24g of protein, 4g of glutamine & precursor and 5.5g of BCAA for better muscle protein synthesis and recovery
If you need to build up muscle quickly, eat more protein – right? Not exactly. There are plenty of powders on the market with very high protein content, but that doesn’t mean they are the most optimal for gaining and recovering after workouts.
That’s where Nitro-Tech Whey Gold comes in. It is specifically made for people who are looking to build muscle. The protein content is typical of many protein powders, but what sets it apart is the inclusion of BCAAs, which are amino acids that are responsible for repairing muscles after intense exercise.
The powder also includes whey peptides, which further enhances the muscle recovery process. In short, this protein powder will enable you to work out more often, resulting in faster gains – especially after hard sparring with shin guards.
When it comes to taste, it’s not the best as with many protein powders. But it also isn’t the worst and comes in a variety of flavors ranging from cookies and cream to strawberry.
MyProtein Clear Whey Isolate
FTD Editors Choice
MyProtein Clear Whey Isolate
A refreshing taste of fruity flavors. Our tests say yes!
✅ Low calories
✅ Solid protein content
✅ Added BCAA’s and glutamine
✅ Great-tasting flavors
✅ Light and refreshing.
It is not every day that you find a protein powder that is seemingly nearly perfect. MyProtein Clear Whey Isolate gets a lot of things right to make for a powder that is going to be hard to compete with.
It has only 80 calories per serving for 20 g (0.71 oz) of protein for starters, which gives it a good calorie to protein ratio.
The calorie count is helped by the fact that this product uses whey isolate, which in short provides a higher concentration of protein for fewer calories. But that’s not all; whey isolate is also great for people watching their fat and carbs, which makes it ideal if you are closely monitoring your macros.
This powder comes in many different flavors, and it seems that their goal is to go for a more refreshing fruity vibe rather than the dessert-like flavors other protein powders go for. You have flavors such as peach tea, bitter melon, rainbow candy, and orange & mango.
Overall, the flavors taste good and aren’t too sweet. Our research of testing 3 different flavors concluded that there is in fact a weird aftertaste, but it doesn’t ruin the drinking experience entirely.
Garden of Life Sport Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder
- Organic sport protein: Certified USDA organic, Non-GMO project verified, NSF certified for sport, informed choice for sport certified, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, soy free, no added sugars
- Post workout recovery: Our Garden of Life Vegan Protein helps you refuel & repair muscles after a hard workout with 30 grams of complete protein and over 5 grams BCAA amino acids, glutamine & glutamic acid
- Recovery drinks: This sport protein powder promotes faster recovery with an organic high antioxidant blend of organic tart cherries, organic apples, organic turmeric, organic gogi berries and organic blueberries
Garden of Life makes another appearance on this list. They are truly one of the best plant-based protein options on the market and showcase that even if you are on a plant-based diet or can’t have dairy, you can still have a great protein powder. It’s not just for specific people either; anyone can enjoy plant-based protein!
This product is specifically designed for athletes and contains organic plant-based ingredients along with BCAA’s to aid in muscle recovery. If you are trying to build muscle, this is arguably one of the best plant-based protein powders on the market.
The taste is fine, but not the best. However, it does taste better than most other vegan protein powders and comes in either chocolate or vanilla. As we mentioned previously, blending it with some plant-based milk is the way to go!
Conclusion – Best Protein Powders for Wrestlers
These protein powder picks that wrestlers can benefit from excel at their quality of ingredients, nutrient balance, and overall effectiveness. At worst, they are tolerable to drink.
We recommend either sticking to this list or comparing their direct competitors of similar quality. Cheaper powders are fine, and some come with a lot more protein overall than the products we listed, but they suffer from ingredients you don’t want, which can result in sluggishness, the opposite of what you want before a workout. Protein beverages should hype your body up for a workout, not make it want to go to bed.